Search This Blog

12/23/2016

Swatch time: Revlon Photoready Skinlights vs MAC Play It Proper

Dear Roses and Lilies,

Today we are playing with two highlighters - Revlon Photoready Skinlights Face Illuminator in 200 Pink Light, and MAC Beauty Powder in Play It Proper (from the Good Luck Trolls collection). This will be a side by side comparison, just for the fun of it, because these two are totally different. What they both have in common is the color, as they are both pinky highlighters.


The Revlon highlighter is an older buy of mine, but I have not been reaching for it too often. Why? Turns out, I am not so thrilled about liquid highlighters as I thought I would be. For starters, this particular one seems rather subtle. Maybe, on the right skin tone, this would show up more. If you try to layer it too heavily, it will start to bunch up and that is not a pretty site. Then, around 4 hours later, it starts to fade and all you are left with is glitter. Remove it, and you have a glitter fest on your face (that is not bad if it's a look you are going for). I have also tried Girl Meets Pearl from Benefit, and that does not seem to do that, but it still fades really quickly on me.

The MAC highlighter is a newer buy, as I went to my local MAC store and got it right when it launched. I thought I would love it, based on the swatches. This is meh for me, and I am still trying to find a better purpose for it, than just as a highlighter. Don't get me wrong, it looks cute and all, but it's a pain to get it to show up on my skin at all. This is rather similar to Guerlain's Meteorites, and I am starting to think that Play It Proper isn't really a highlighter, but more like a brightening powder that you can build up to look like highlight on the high points of your face. Let me go further and tell you that I need around 7 heavy brush strokes for this to look like a highlighter on my skin. Again, this may well be because it's pink, and not golden, but please do tell me what your experience is with it.


As you can see below, on the left is a swatch of the Revlon Photoready Skinlights highlighter, two coats. Notice how it doesn't look neat because I tried to layer it. On the right, many many coats of the MAC Play It Proper Beauty Powder. Shot both in natural, and in artificial light (artificial meaning one light bulb, which we all have in our homes in some rooms, and not the blinding studio light).
Natural light
Artificial light
And this is it for today's post. What do you think? I would love to hear from you, either in the comments below, or on social media (I am on instagram, twitter, veleza, facebook and tumblr).

xoxo
WildRose

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of liquid highlighters either, that MAC one looks really nice though.
    The New Old Fashioned Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look nice, but MAC now have more pigmented highlighters

      Delete

Share your opinions here and sign