Search This Blog

1/09/2014

V as in Vintage: YSL Opium

Dear Roses and Lilies,

I don't have many vintage pieces, because I don't usually shop for anything vintage. The ones I have were accidental finds, which, in my humble opinion, are the best.

A vintage owl watch here, a little pearl necklace there... and my most recent and treasured find - a vintage YSL Opium Edt bottle.



If you had the chance to try out both an old version of this fragrance and the new, post 2009 version, you'll notice they are different.

Why I treasure my old version? If you look at the composition, there's an impressive list of ingredients, that makes this fragrance so complex and addictive. Opium was launched in 1977. Top notes are coriander, plum, citruses, mandarin orange, pepper, jasmine, cloves, west Indian bay and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, sandalwood, patchouli, cinnamon, orris root, peach, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are labdanum, tolu balsam, sandalwood, opoponax, musk, coconut, vanilla, benzoin, vetiver, incense, cedar, myrrh, castoreum and amber.

Depending on what shower gel or soap you use, you'll detect different notes from the composition, which means that this fragrance is not linear. The drydown, however, remains the same and yes, that too depends on your body chemistry.

For the new version, they cut off most of the ingredients used to formulate the old version. I guess they wanted to make it more modern and alluring for the new generation of buyers ( out with the old, in with the new, right? ). Top notes are bergamot, mandarin orange, lilly-of-the-valley; middle notes are carnation, jasmine and myrrh; base notes are patchouli, opoponax, amber and vanilla.

The old version smells mostly of opium incense sticks, clove, cinnamon and bergamot on me. The new version has something in it that nauseates me at first ( there's something synthetic about it, like detergent ? ), then turns into gingerbread cookies after 2 hours of wear and stays the same.

Still oriental this new version, I suppose... so, if you aren't allergic to it, it's worth a try. But if you had the old version and loved it and now feel nostalgic about the scent, know that it is hard to find and it may not come cheap.

Hope you liked this little review.

xoxo
WildRose

5 comments:

  1. I know Opium, someone I know used to use it, it's awesome !!! (but don't know which version) When I saw the list of "notes"I thought woohow, so many? Even the new version...it's facinating how complex some perfumes really are, I didn't even know this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Complex and we'll blended, I forgot to add... Too bad they changed it

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry...but the design of that bottle...just awful. The 70's....what a "brown" decade..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? But if it wasn't for that awful looking design, I probably wouldn't have noticed and bought the bottle. The smell, however, totally makes up for the unattractive color.

      Delete
    2. I for one don't really care about bottles, this perfume is really awesome, I'd like it even if it came in plastic coke bottle :))

      Delete

Share your opinions here and sign