Search This Blog

1/03/2014

Fragrance love: Elegance in a bottle - Van Cleef & Arpels Bois D'Iris

Dear Roses and Lilies,

For those of you who don't know, Van Cleef and Arpels is a French jewelery, watches and perfume company founded in 1896. They have exceptional jewelery pieces a girl would only dream about and are best known for their special gem setting procedure called "Mystery Setting".

I was first introduced to VC&A about a month ago, when I discovered a fragrance from their Collection Extraordinaire line: Bois D'Iris.

When I fist saw it, I thought it would be another iris scented fragrance, which I wouldn't be much of a fan of.

But this one is different, because it is more about wood and sugar and less about fields of iris.

The bottle comes in a rather large white box, perfect for a gift, and accompanied by a leaflet; very professional, very clean, no flowers and faeries and butterflies. And I must say, I just love the bottle. It feels heavy, the cap is sturdy and the straw attached to the sprayer is just so thin you almost cannot detect it.

And, to make the line a more "exclusive" one, there is no marketing whatsoever behind it.

The juice in it is potent and last well for 12 hours, but it is not overpowering or overly sweet, like so many modern fragrances. The woody notes are the most noticeable at first. Then you get a hint of sweetness from amber and sugar. The iris barely peeks out at some point, then gives way to more wood.

The fragrance is supposed to smell like driftwood on the ocean shore. On me, it smells more like amber and some incense.

When I showed it to my mother, she fell in love with it almost instantaneously. She says there is something in it like a dream: you cannot quite grasp it's essence; when you think you know what it is, you lose it again.

It also reminds her or her granny's old oakwood furniture, which is always a very pleasant memory. So, naturally, this bottle was the perfect Christmas present.

If you are into elegant fragrances, then you will surely find the perfect one for you in the Collection Extraordinaire line from Van Cleef & Arpels. Also available in this line: Gardenia Petale, Muguet Blanc, Orchidee Vanille, Cologne Noire ( for men ), Lys Carmin and Precious Oud.

What I am going to try next ( if I can get my hands on it ), is Precious Oud, a white floral, smoky and animalic fragrance that is closer to my taste.

Do you own any VC&A fragrance?

xoxo
WildRose

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your opinions here and sign