Search This Blog

12/14/2013

Serums serums... Artistry essentials

Dear Roses and Lilies,

Continuing my serums series, I present to you ARTISTRY® essentials Alpha Hydroxy Serum Plus, from Amway.

This one is a more recent acquisition of mine. After testing it once and seeing some results the same day, I decided to get it ( ok, not instantly, but I bought it, eventually ).



What's in my serum:

Water, PEG-20, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Lactobacillus/Acerola Cherry Ferment, Oat Extract, Panthenol, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Sodium PCA, PCA, Green Tea Extract, Kola Nut Extract, Guarana Extract, Mate Extract, Algae Extract, Phospholipids, Sphingolipids, Cholesterol, Proline, Sodium Hyaluronate, Saccharide Isomerate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben and Butylparaben.

Claims to:

- moisturize

- gently exfoliate

- reduce skin flakiness

The lactic acid it contains ( 5% ) is the one that helps exfoliate your skin and give back that youthful glow we all love. It is a derivative of sour milk, which means you can easily exfoliate your skin with some yogurt ( DYI posts coming up later ;-) ) if you enjoy "cooking" up your skincare at home.

Everything else in it is pretty much a moisturizer, antioxidant and preservative.

I'm thinking the oat extract is in there to cancel out some of the effects of the sodium hydroxide ( SH, a PH adjuster, being the only one on the list likely to cause irritation ). Otherwise, I know oat helps reduce cholesterol...

What's the serum done for me so far:

- youthful glow ( pretty pink undertone back! ) - check

- reduce flakiness ( not so much as induce ) - semi-check

- moisturize ( no additional moisturizer needed on top of it ) - check

What I liked about it:

- only needed to use it once a day to get results in two weeks

- smells delicious, although it doesn't contain fragrance ( or so they say )

- it's travel friendly because of the size and shape of the plastic (?) container

What I disliked:

- my face turns sticky after applying the product and the stickiness lasts for hours, even with foundation on top

- for the first few minutes upon application, my face gets a little itchy

- slightly induces flakiness and clogs my pores (why - oh - why? )

All in all, it's a good serum and, if you can get past the stickiness - and you keep using it - the way your skin looks will improve over time.

For me, even though I love 90% of what's in it, the serum is not good enough. After using it for a while ( sometimes these skincare products need time to work ), I find that it is not suitable for oily and/or very sensitive skin.

Those of you who have normal to dry or very dry skin would love this serum.

Have you already tried this serum? How did it work for you?

Till next time!

xoxo
WildRose

5 comments:

  1. I've never used any serum, because I don't understand what it's for, or why is it something else than a moisturiser?
    In any case, I've used oat as an exfoliator and it's really good for reducing redness and irritation, I mean I was really impressed. I don't know what it is, but it has got something in it that calms down the skin. I haven't used it lately though, because it's really messy :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a serum helps your moisturizer work better. it prepares your skin for the next step. of course, using a serum is optional and a serum + moisturizer combo is good for dry or mature skin. some serums are specifically formulated to treat various skin problems

      Delete
    2. Thanks for explaining, well I haven't got any dry skin, I'm on the other side of the spectrum...sigh

      Delete
    3. But you do use moisturizer from time to time, right? I find that a good serum can replace your moisturizer sometimes. I'll blog about another good serum soon :-)

      Delete
    4. yes, I do use moisturiser quite often, you made me curious about these serums, maybe I'll try one some day

      Delete

Share your opinions here and sign